Head of School
HEAD OF SCHOOL (HOS) DESCRIPTION
Administratively, the Head of School will supervise the effective development of Heartland’s educational program, increase enrollment and retention, manage finances, and provide input to the Board of Trustees on these initiatives. The Head of School will almost always be on campus during regular school hours, overseeing day-to-day operations. The Head of School will also be an asset to the Board and other members of school leadership as a resource and strategic visionary, with an ex officio, non-voting seat on the Board. The Head of School is a full-time employee of the Heartland Board of Directors, working an average of 40 hours a week during regular school hours, evenings, and some weekends, throughout the school year. Summer is a time to prepare for the following year with recruiting, building maintenance and limited functional operations.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Shepherds Heartland in model, vision, mission, and advancement.
- Builds highly qualified and effective faculty and staff.
- Actively manages Heartland’s educational program, operating finances, facility, administrative staff and duties.
- Oversees day-to-day operations, while mitigating any conflict within the school community.
- As a non-voting member of the Board provides key status updates and collaborates with the Board to refine long-term strategic plans and establish policies and processes to accomplish the mission of Heartland.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES OF THE HEAD OF SCHOOL
- Protect and defend the Montessori pedagogy and the mission and reputation of HMS.
- Ensures best practices are achieved in all aspects of the daily operation, instruction, and other activities of the school.
- Provides input to the Board of Trustees for the creation and direction of fiscally sound operating and capital budgets and financial plans (including tuition, compensation, capital expenditures, etc.).
- Foster a relationship with River Falls School District and Wisconsin Dept. of Public Instruction to include compliance and record keeping.
- Develop and implement an enrollment plan and assure proper student-teacher ratios.
- Review and formalize a measurable strategy to meet retention goals.
- Ensure HOS visibility and accessibility to all members of the school community.
- Lead and/or participate in all fundraising efforts as appropriate.
- Writes monthly Board reports highlighting accomplishments, progress toward goals, specific concerns, and general updates.
- Actively participates in Board meetings on a scheduled, monthly basis.
- Oversees the daily overall operation of the school, administrative staff, and office functions.
- Review operations to ensure compliance with accrediting bodies.
- Hire, supervise, train, schedule, develop, and dismiss staff as needed.
- Helps determine Faculty and Staff salaries and contractual obligations along with appropriate Board committee; disseminates contracts and collects signed contracts; writes performance reports to review with employees and for use in Salary and Bonus decision process.
- Manage substitutes for classrooms and act as substitute in classroom as needed.
- Lead and facilitate staff meetings to guide and support staff.
- Provide ongoing professional development for all staff, including Head of School.
- Oversee admission of students; in consultation with guides and the Board Chair, make final decisions regarding disciplinary action or dismissal.
- Seeks consensus with appropriate Board Committee before taking action that impacts community, enrollment, or staffing.
- Manages the annual operating plan, sets short-term objectives, and measures progress and achievement.
- Creates the Heartland Calendar in collaboration with Board, Faculty, and Staff.
- Coordinates with appropriate leaders a year in advance, and actively communicates to confirm events throughout the school year.
- Works to ensure the safety of the school environment and facilities.
- Communicates needs with Board and work with the Board to define and execute a long-term facilities strategy.
- Facilitates good stewardship of and necessary improvements to the physical building
- Prepare and present an annual operating budget to the Board in conjunction with the Treasurer and Executive Committee.
- Administer the operating budget and be accountable to the Board for effective business management, e.g., review bills to ensure adherence to the budget.
- Work with Treasurer to maintain and update the Accounting Policies and Procedures manual.
- Oversee daily and monthly A/P, A/R, and payroll processes.
- Approve receipts for reimbursement.
- Prepare a financial report for Annual Meeting.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Organizational experience to include staff management, organizational growth, administration and compliance, and budget management.
- Administrative skills and demonstrates a facility with managing multiple tasks and parties through effective use of time and resources.
- Highly self-motivated and driven to achieve results-oriented goals.
- CPR/First Aid Certification (can be obtained before the start date).
- Previous experience with early childhood education, management, office administration.
- Previous experience working with a Board of Directors.
- A willingness to make connections and build a strong, positive reputation for Heartland in the communities.
- Fundraising and marketing experience.
- Experience working with educational and non-profit organizations.
- Success obtaining grants and other necessary funding.
- Proven record of quickly assimilating into new environments, identifying areas for improvement and affecting change, while cultivating positive relationships.
Applicants should send a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.